How to Process T4s/T4as
|Learn how to process your T4 and/or T4A run.||
This applies to:
Prior to processing
There are a few steps you need to complete in preparation for processing your T4 or T4a run.
Creating your T4 or T4a Run
Once you are fully prepared, you can create your T4 or T4a run using the following process. Note that the images will show a T4 run, but the process is identical for T4a's.
- Select "Payroll" on the top menu, and then "T4/T4a Runs" under the "Year End" heading.
- You will see one entry per RP number for each year. Click "Edit" to enter the Year End Tax Form Run.
- Enter your T4 Remittance Balance by clicking on "Edit T4 Remittance Balance".
- Click "View T4 Summary" to review the Summary of Remuneration Paid
- Two thirds down the page, you will see the "Difference". If you have a balance due, you must pay the CRA directly the balance due. If you have a balance owing, the CRA will send you a Notice of Assessment after your T4s are filed. This assessment will contain information on how receive your refund.
- If you would like to view all the employee T4 slips in draft mode, click "View T4 Slips".
- If you would like to change the data you see on the employee T4 slips, you can export the data and edit it using the process outlined here.
- You'll want to run a PIER report to review your Pensionable and Insurable earnings. Hopefully you have also looked at this during a reconciliation period prior to closing the year, but it is good to do it again.
- If you have questions about the PIER report and what it is displaying, please contact our support team.
- Click "Check T4 Data" to generate any possible errors or warnings about your T4 run, and then select "View Errors/Warnings Report"
- If you have questions about the errors/warnings listed, please contact our support team.
Setting up delivery of T4's
Rise will electronically deliver your T4's and T4A's to the CRA (unless you opt out). You will have to specify how the employee's in your company should receive their T4's though.
- Click "Edit Delivery Options" to open a selection screen.
- If you would like Rise to send T4s to your team for you, select "Create my T4s for me". If you select "Do not create my T4s for me" we will still file to the CRA on your behalf, but we will process no T4 slips for you or your employees.
- From the drop-down list next to "T4 Delivery Method", select how you would like us to send your T4s to your employees. Rise charges $3 per printed T4, and shipping fee's for any methods including delivery.
- Email T4s to employees: This option will send an email to all employee's who have an email address specified for tax forms.
- Pickup: Our office is at 1055 W Hastings St in Vancouver.
- To normal payroll address by courier (courier charges apply): We will courier them to your office.
- To normal payroll address by mail: We will mail them to your office.
- To normal payroll address with next payroll: We will mail them to your office with your next payroll. This may reduce shipping costs if you normally have cheques delivered to your office.
- If you would like Rise to create two copies of all T4's (one for your employees, and one for you), select the option "Print copy of all T4's for my records". The same $3 per printed copy fee will be charged.
- If you would not like Rise to file your T4's to the CRA, select the option "I will file to CRA myself". NOTE: this means the CRA will not be receiving any information from Rise, and you will be fully responsible for filling all appropriate tax forms.
- Add any relevant comments you would like our support team to know in the "Comments" section.
- Once everything is set up, hit "Save" and you will be returned to the main T4 page.
Finalizing your T4s
When you have completed all of the above steps, your T4's are ready to be finalized. Clicking "Approve" will send your files to the CRA and will deliver to your employees as per your settings.